I suffered a lcl knee injury playing soccer. I don't want surgery but I want to be able to play again?

Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Unlikely
Actually, a tear of the fibular collateral component of the lcl and posterolateral complex of the knee does not heal on its own.
Unlike the mcl, which can heal on its own, the fibular collateral tear will need to be reconstructed in order to control rotation and stability if the knee. The exception is when we are able to repair some tears within 2-3 weeks if injury. See your sports sub-specialist.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. John McDonald
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Brace
A lateral (fibular) collateral ligament injury can be treated in a hinged knee brace x 6 wks followed by strengthening and return to activities in 8-12 weeks.
Stress xrays can help determine if it heals correctly. However, this is commonly associated with other ligament injuries and usually needs to be surgically reconstructed in this setting. That requires a wait of 1 year to return to sport.

In brief: Brace
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery