If I sprained my lateral collateral ligament what can be done to speed recovery so I can return to soccer?

Dr. John McDonald
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Brace

A lateral (fibular) collateral ligament injury can be treated in a hinged knee brace x 6 wks followed by strengthening and return to activities in 8-12 weeks.
Stress xrays can help determine if it heals correctly. However, this is commonly associated with other ligament injuries and usually needs to be surgically reconstructed in this setting. That requires a wait of 1 year to return to sport.

In brief: Brace

Dr. John McDonald
Dr. John McDonald