After a total knee replacement, how long before I can ride my harley ?

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ride when healed

First you need to be off narcotics.
Second you should wait til your swelling is down to almost normal. Third, your wound needs to be healed. If you lean on your leg too soon with the weight of your harley, the tissue many still be held together by the internal stitches and you may split open your wound. 6-8 weeks is probably getting close to being safe on the wound strength issue. I ride myself.

In brief: Ride when healed

First you need to be off narcotics.
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Variable

In general, we expect patients to come off of narcotic medications by 1-2 weeks after surgery.
After that, the overall conditioning of the patient before surgery will help to predict when you can ride. I had one patient ride his 4 days after his total knee replacement. But everyone is different and individual.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu