What are the possible complications of a sigmoidoscopy?

Dr. Johnny Green
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Complications: rare
Sigmoidoscopy is a very commonly done procedure with rare significant complications.
Mild bleeding can occur in patients with hemorrhoids. Perforation of the colon wall can occur in less than 1/1000 patients, usually only in those with some type of pre-existing abnormality such as diverticulosis.

In brief: Complications: rare
Dr. Johnny Green
Dr. Johnny Green
Dr. Alain Ades
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Sigmoidoscopy-NO!!!
Perforation, bleeding infection amd death.
Make sure it is done by a gastroenterologist. I have rarely done a sig. Any indication for a sig is an indication for a full colonoscopy. Doing just a sig may result in death from the biggest complication-missing a cancer. If your primary advises this, run.

In brief: Sigmoidoscopy-NO!!!
Dr. Alain Ades
Dr. Alain Ades