I shattered my ankle and had to have it fused. Is ankle replacement the next step?

In brief: Shattered Ankle

Youve had a devastating injury requiring a fusion surgery.
.... I would exhaust all means to avoid further surgeries at this point and allow yourself to heal and regain strength and function it will also give you time to research the various implants available and the surgeons that would perform an ankle replacement on a fused ankle.. Bracing is certainly an option.

In brief: Shattered Ankle

Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Dr. Matthew Davis
Be cautious, a fusion takedown converting to an implant can be very difficult if it is even a possibility. Was your fibula bone partially taken out during the fusion?

In brief: Not necessarily

In most cases ankle fusion would occur after failure of an ankle implant.
But in your description I am not sure that the total ankle was fused, due to the injury. If there is still some ankle motion and it is painful, then replacement would be the next step.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: It is possible

If one's ankle is already fused conversion to an ankle replacement is possible.
It depends on the method of fusion. Some fusions remove part of the ankle structures that are necessary for an ankle replacement. Also depends of the staus of the soft tissue particular the tendons and how much scar tissue is present.Ankle.

In brief: It is possible

Dr. Steven Sheskier
Dr. Steven Sheskier
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Ankle Fusion Takedow

There are times when a fusion can be considered for what is called a take down procedure with consideration of ankle replacement.
This procedure is very complicated, may require staging and patient selection is very rigorous. This is more often done in the face of a failed fusion in a patient that is an appropriate candidate for an ankle replacement.

In brief: Ankle Fusion Takedow

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine