What happens if I have to get my meniscus removed?

Dr. John McDonald
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Arthritis
The meniscus acts as the cushion/shock absorber in the knee.
When all or part of it has to be removed, the cartilage and bone see more stress over time and degrade faster - arthritis. However, leaving a torn meniscus and not taking it out can cause more stress as a flap can rub raw the cartilage much faster than having less meniscus.

In brief: Arthritis
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Pain goes away.
Your pain or mechanical symptoms should go away.
Long term health of your knee may or may not be affected, depending on how much is removed, and on other factors inside the knee joint. When its torn , it's not doing its job anyway.

In brief: Pain goes away.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Rick Pospisil
Long term viability of knee also depends on what activities are resumed
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine