I have a torn meniscus in my knee. Do I have to have surgery?

Dr. John McDonald
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: No
A meniscus can heal on its own.
This typically occurs in the first 6 weeks or so after injury. However, some tears become asymptomatic and can be managed with injections and physical therapy. If pain and swelling persist despite nsaids, pt, rest, injections, then usually a surgery is warranted depending on how much arthritis is in the joint. Speak to your ortho surgeon for more detail.

In brief: No
A meniscus can heal on its own.
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology
In brief: Maybe
It depends on your symptoms and the location of the meniscal tear. Some small tears located in the vascular areas of the meniscus may heal, while others usually do not.
But if symptoms are severe or interfere with activities of daily living, then surgery is the best choice.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Dr. Brian Sabb
Sports Medicine
In brief: No, it depends
Knee surgery is not always indicated in meniscal tears.
Are you in pain? Limited range of motion? There are many types of tears, large ones, small ones, stable and unstable ones. You can get fragments that are displaced or flipped, these usually need surgery. Prior to having surgery the orthopaedist will try to determine if your signs and symptoms are related to the meniscal tear or to other.

In brief: No, it depends
Dr. Brian Sabb
Dr. Brian Sabb
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine