Will I get a medical discharge from the army after having PCL reconstruction?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Not if knee stable
Returning to full duty in the army is definitely expected after successful PCL reconstruction surgery.
You will be on a T3 (liothyronine) profile for upwards of 3-6 months, and gradually allowed to return to all training activities and be worldwide deployable by 9-12 months. I performed over 100 PCL reconstructions before retiring from the army and the majority of the soldiers avoided a medical discharge.

In brief: Not if knee stable
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: You may
Depending on your commander, your may not return to active duty.
I tend to perform all-inside PCL reconstructions without retained screws. After a year, I have had patients return to active duty without difficulty. I have also had others that were unable to return until all hardware was removed. It is not always consistent.

In brief: You may
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery