I seem to have my sense of smell being blocked, it ocasionally comes and then I can't smell anything. Its been like that for 5 years . Is it allergie?

Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Possibly
Diminished sense of smell that is intermittent is likely due to poor airflow to the roof of the nose where the nerve endings for smell are located.
A thorough nasal endoscopy will check for nasal polyps ( which are usually due to allergies). If the endoscopy is normal, then a ct scan may be helpful in ensuring no other abnormalities in the skull base that can decrease sense of smell.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Frequently
The smell receptors are located in the very top of the nasal cavity.
If there is any swelling in the nose, or obstruction of the nose due to polyps, air may not be able to reach the sensors, and you won't be able to smell. If you have an intermittent loss of smell, that is more likely to be allergy, rather than an obstruction that never changes, like a septal deviation.

In brief: Frequently
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven