Do to a fall, my 6 week old infant needed a cat scan. What are the side effects of a scan at such a young age? The dr said cancer but how soon?

Pathology

In brief: Wouldn't worry

There is a tiny increase in cancer risk later in life children who have a bunch of ct scans.
We're exposed to unavoidable natural radiation every day, and compared to this, the dose you get from a worthwhile ct scan is trivial. I'm glad junior is okay and has a parent who care so much.

In brief: Wouldn't worry

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Small risk

There is a very minimal risk with one scan.
For children who need multiple scans the risk is cumulative, but still considered not high risk.

In brief: Small risk

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: I truly hope

Your child's scan was negative, but younow know the baby did not suffer a serious injury.
Before the scan the risk was one in a million, now it may be 10 in a million, even a ten fold increase is nothing to worry about with these odds despite 10 fold risk, and that's an over estimate!

In brief: I truly hope

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Marsha Davis