The inside edge of my heel hurts with every step for 5 minuets afer I stand up. I see nothing there. What is the problem?

Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Plantar fasciitis
This is a very common cause of heel pain.
It's most painful when you take your first steps of the day and after you get up and walk after being off of your feet for awhile. Heel cord (achillies' tendon) stretches, ice and nsaid's are good initial treatments. Splints, shoe inserts, therapy and oral steroids are used in more persistent cases. This problem usually resolves and rarely needs surgery.

In brief: Plantar fasciitis
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry
In brief: Plantar fascitiis
Plantar fascitiis is the likely culprit.
This is known as "post static dyskinesia". You don't see anything as it is happeneing inside the foot. The fascia which rests while sitting is now being stretched and this is painful. Try stretchign the foot before walking on it. Icing helps. Archs supports are helpful as well. If pain persists it is time to visit the podiatrist.

In brief: Plantar fascitiis
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
In brief: Fascial strain
Painful heels in the morning and after rest are symptoms consistent with plantar fascitis.
Stretch your legs and feet in bed in the mornings prior to bearing weight. Wear supportive shoes upon first rising. No bare feet or flat shoes.. Ice massage prior to slumber see your podiatrist.

In brief: Fascial strain
Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Dr. Peter Kurzweil