I am very interested in the medicinal properties and uses for medical cannabis. Do you see the medicinal benefits and do you think that it would be wise to use or preventative care?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Very rarely, and no
For most, cannabis use has far more risks than benefits.
I've seen people become very psychotic, paranoid, and socially isolated -- with distorted perceptions that lead to life-threatening behavior. I don't see that this is "preventative" care in any way. In very rare cases of chemotherapy-induced nausea where nothing else helps, perhaps a role; rare cases of cancer-related cachexia, etc.

In brief: Very rarely, and no
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: MJ contraversy
Although medical marijuana has many advocates and seems legal in 17 states, there is little, if any, convincing evidence of true medical benefits.
Some of my pts are convinced it helps their migraine headaches, and spasticity associated with ms, but research studies are lacking so far. Best to discuss with a few physicians if it is legal in your state.

In brief: MJ contraversy
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Good point about the MS spasticity -- when you examine your patients, do you personally find improvement? If they do have relief, would this be expected to only last while under the influence?
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Clinical Psychology
In brief: More research
We need way more research on medical cannabis before we stampede to legalizing and prescribing for close to "everything" from headaches, muscle pain, stomach issues, bowel issues and the list is seemingly endless.
I do think there is value here, but because the $ are high and people are looking at this drug they way they looked at the tobacco settlement money, we're wrong headed at present.

In brief: More research
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology