I have had migraine headaches for years. My last 3 headaches have come with facial numbness and dizziness, a new symptom for me. Is this normal or should I be alarmed?

Dr. SG Erman

In brief: Alarmed no

If these new symtoms resolved, there is no need for panic, but you should let your physican know of the change.
It may mean you need an exam and testing to make sure there is nothing else going on.

In brief: Alarmed no

Dr. SG Erman
Dr. SG Erman
Dr. Mark Deutsch
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Migraine vertigo

One variant of migraine headache is migraine associated with vertigo.
If i had a patient with similar symptoms i would want to re-evaluate that patient.

In brief: Migraine vertigo

Dr. Mark Deutsch
Dr. Mark Deutsch
Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology

In brief: New symptoms

You should let your doctor know.
Might not want to take a triptan medication or an ergot preparation until you get seen. There may be increased risk of stroke due to excessive vasopsasm of one of the vertebral arteries.

In brief: New symptoms

You should let your doctor know.
Dr. Eric Weisman
Dr. Eric Weisman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

In brief: Don't be alarmed

You do need further evaluation.
Please remember these symptoms are consistent with a TMJ problem, so you may need to look to dental professionals to identify and recommend treatment for the cause of your headaches, not just manage the symptoms. Dizziness (vertigo) and facial numbness follow the anatomical structures. I would have concern if the affected areas seems to be widening.

In brief: Don't be alarmed

You do need further evaluation.
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine