How can I improve pain and swelling in my knees? I love to run - have lost 120 lbs. Had torn meniscus repaired. Pain in back of knee & instability

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Orthopaedic Eval.

Consider an orthopaedci evaluation.
Weightbearing xrays will be helpful in determining whether or not you have significant arthritis and whether or not the swelling is due to the meniscus tear and/or any underlying arthritis.

In brief: Orthopaedic Eval.

Consider an orthopaedci evaluation.
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Quad strengthening

In general, the most common causes of pain and giving way (especially after surgery or injury) is quad muscle inhibition.
We may not be able to make the inside of your knee perfect, but we can make your quad muscles function better with exercise. A healthy quad allows a more normal walk or gait. Exercises include straight leg raises, exercise bicycle, and slow consistent stair climbing. Good luck!

In brief: Quad strengthening

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine