How to treat lower back pain?

Stretch ! Stretching our back and joints is important, just standing and stretching every so often will help. Proper "restorative sleep" , hydration, wight control and ergonomic measures at work and home will help. Progressive symptoms, leg weakness and changes in bladder or bowel habits must be evaluated !
See your PCP. Pcp = primary care provider. There are multiple causes of low back. The first step is to get a medical evaluation. Most back pain is due to muscle spasm, osteoarthritis, or mechanical factors. However, most cases are benign and resolve on their own. Pt, core exercises, heat & muscle relaxants can be very helpful. I have had excellent results with inversion tables. Don't try if contraindicated.
Lots to do. Lets assume the pain is not from something serious or a herniated disk, stenosis or anything pathologic. Exercise to sthengthen abdominal muscles and the muscles in your back, stretching, care to avoid bending and twisting at the same time, anti-inflammatories or tylenol, (acetaminophen) heat, good body posture and body mechanics (lifting correctly), weight reduction are a good start.Exercise and walk or swim.
Depends. Acute lbp 80% of the time resolve by itself within 1-3 weeks. You can have otc medication or have your dr prescribe an anti inflammatory/muscle relaxer combo. Chronic back pain or any back pain more than 3 weeks will depend on cause.