Problems transvaginal mesh, slings etc. Do pig tissue slings cause similar problems (erosion etc)? What compications are associated with pig tissue?

Dr. J. Kyle Mathews
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology
In brief: Higher failure rates
The use of porcine tissue in the repair of pelvic organ prolapse has been done for sometime now and many physicians, including myself, have seen higher failure rates than with permanent mesh.
Complications associated with porcine grafts are similar to synthetic meshes except erosion or extrusion to the porcine graft tend to be less problematic depending on which product is used.

In brief: Higher failure rates
Dr. J. Kyle Mathews
Dr. J. Kyle Mathews
Dr. Mary Vanko
In brief: Porcine tissue graft
Porcine grafty is natural and will not erode but there is a higher rate of reoccurence of the problem fore which it is placed as it is natural tissue and not permanent mesh.

In brief: Porcine tissue graft
Dr. Mary Vanko
Dr. Mary Vanko
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery