I have Crohn's disease and I'm nervous about asking my gastroenterologist for a medical marijuana recommendation. How should I go about asking? (wa)

Not everyone. Not everyone is pro marijuana. The best way to approach it is to just come right out and ask. Be honest and straight forward. Keep an open line of communication with your physician. Just like with any relationship, communication is the key to a successful doctor patient relationship.
Just do it. Make a case for your use of the drug, including what other drugs have not done for you, as well as side-effects. Support your request with medical data attesting to its utility in conditions like yours. This doesn't have to be full medical articles but medically oriented articles on the subject from respectable journals for mass circulation.