I don't sleep well - I have trouble falling asleep. I don't have apnea. I have stress. Melatonin doesn't work. Booze works but... Derp. Suggestions?

Talk to your doctor. There are better options than self medicating with alcohol. Usually you will fall asleep with alcohol but awaken in about 4 hours and the quality of sleep is not the best. There are other medications available that cost less too. Maybe you can learn to manage that stress better too!
Stay active. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress. Your body releases endorphins during exercise, which can help you feel calm. If you exercise 30 - 60 minutes a day, your stress levels can improve. When stressed, take 5 slow, deep breaths with your eyes closed, then roll your shoulders forward 5 times, then back 5 times. This will slow your heart rate and release tension in your neck and shoulders.
Alcohol disrupts. Alcohol disrupts sleep. Calcium and magnesium at bedtime is helpful. L tryptophan also helps. A warm bath, quiet music, having a bedtime ritual. Don't use computer 1 hr prior to sleep.
Calm bedtime routine. Sleep hygiene refers to the use of a calming routine at bedtime, like bathing, quiet music, and going to bed at the same time each night. Avoiding stimulants like caffeine or nicotine, and stressful conversation in the evening also helps. Alcohol is not a good choice because it is habit forming and worsens depression. Otc sleep aids are ok for a week or 2. If thr problem persists, see your doctor.