I don't sleep well - I have trouble falling asleep. I don't have apnea. I have stress. Melatonin doesn't work. Booze works but... Derp. Suggestions?

Dr. Marsha Davis
In brief: Talk to your doctor
There are better options than self medicating with alcohol.
Usually you will fall asleep with alcohol but awaken in about 4 hours and the quality of sleep is not the best. There are other medications available that cost less too. Maybe you can learn to manage that stress better too!

In brief: Talk to your doctor
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Maritza Baez
In brief: Stay active
Exercise is a great way to relieve stress.
Your body releases endorphins during exercise, which can help you feel calm. If you exercise 30 - 60 minutes a day, your stress levels can improve. When stressed, take 5 slow, deep breaths with your eyes closed, then roll your shoulders forward 5 times, then back 5 times. This will slow your heart rate and release tension in your neck and shoulders.

In brief: Stay active
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Myra Skluth
In brief: Alcohol disrupts
Alcohol disrupts sleep.
Calcium and magnesium at bedtime is helpful. L tryptophan also helps. A warm bath, quiet music, having a bedtime ritual. Don't use computer 1 hr prior to sleep.

In brief: Alcohol disrupts
Alcohol disrupts sleep.
Dr. Myra Skluth
Dr. Myra Skluth
Dr. Joan Giordano
In brief: Calm bedtime routine
Sleep hygiene refers to the use of a calming routine at bedtime, like bathing, quiet music, and going to bed at the same time each night.
Avoiding stimulants like caffeine or nicotine, and stressful conversation in the evening also helps. Alcohol is not a good choice because it is habit forming and worsens depression. Otc sleep aids are ok for a week or 2. If thr problem persists, see your doctor.

In brief: Calm bedtime routine
Dr. Joan Giordano
Dr. Joan Giordano
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Insomnia
Sleep hygiene techniques work.

In brief: Insomnia
Sleep hygiene techniques work.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali