I am considering a daycare for my daughter that accepts children who aren't vaccinated. My child is up to date on all shots. Would she be fine in this environment?

In brief: No; get the vaccines

Since modern vaccines have been available, hundreds of thousands of children have been saved by vaccines.
Everything in life has its risks, but the risk in a vaccine is miniscule compared to the risk of the bad diseases. So, to live together equitably in our society, every child takes the miniscule risks of vaccines, and every child has an equal opportunity to enjoy a healthy life.

In brief: No; get the vaccines

Dr. Swati Avashia
Even if your child is up to date on immunizations the vaccines are not always 100% effective. It would be better to send your child to a daycare where vaccines are required.

In brief: Risky

There is a certain risk from being around children who are not vaccinated.
One of the main reason children do not get chicken pox as often these days after the vaccine, is that there is not as much chicken pox going around. Being in a group with non-vaccinated children would increase the risk. Even with our excellent vaccines, some of them are not 100% effective against all diseases.

In brief: Risky

Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER
Dr. CHERYL COLDWATER

In brief: Check state rules

I believe in my state, a day care facility cannot retain its license if it knowingly accepts unvaccinated kids.
(unless they have a state exemption) I would consider this a reason to find/use another daycare. Vaccines provide most but not all kids with adequate protection, and many of the contagious diseases spread before they become evident.

In brief: Check state rules

Dr. Theresa-Ann Clark

In brief: Most likely

Vaccines introduce modified forms of viruses/bacteria to prompt the immune system to create antibodies.
The antibodies recognize the live version then attacks it. Most develop a strong immune response but a minority don't so protection is not 100% guaranteed. If she gets the disease, her symptoms are likely to be much milder. Keeping her shots current allows her to safely attend this daycare.

In brief: Most likely

Dr. Theresa-Ann Clark
Dr. Theresa-Ann Clark
Dr. Shalabh Bansal

In answering your question, thank you for vaccinating your child.
Now, you cannot control what decisions other people make in the vaccination of their children - many use religious exemption as a reason not to vaccinate. So your child may be playing along side kids who are not vaccinated in the park, at daycare, at school, etc. This is the reason you have agreed to vaccinate your child. Thank you.

Dr. Shalabh Bansal
Dr. Shalabh Bansal

As she has all the required vaccines, she should be ok.

Dr. Muhammad Siddique
Dr. Muhammad Siddique
Dr. Shontae Buffington