What could cause ear crackling when I move my jaw?

TMJ

Open-uri20120707-24061-wz20qo
The most likely explanation is the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). This joint is located just in front of the ear canal, and the sounds of the joint movements can often be detected by the nearby ear. This is called crepitus, the crunchy, crackling noise of the joint . Inflammation of the TMJ usually produces more noticeable crepitus. Other causes are hairs or wax in the ear canal.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Tmj syndrome Noise Ear Inflammation Jaw Temporomandibular disorders

answered:

Joints Problems

If you hear noises when you move your jaw, such as popping, clicking or grinding, you are experiencing Temporomandibular joint disorder, when the mandibular bone moves against the temporal bone, the movement may not be smooth due to changes in the surfaces of the bone and the disk seperating the 2 bones, Think of it as of Osteoarthritis of the condyles.,it can be painful and have other symptoms,
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Osteoarthritis Noise Jaw Bone Ear Temporomandibular disorders Tmj syndrome

answered:

TMJ

Head-jaw
Sounds like TMJ, or temporomandibular joint dysfunction.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Ear Jaw Joints Tmj syndrome Temporomandibular disorders

TMD

Head-jaw
PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR JOINT
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Ear Jaw Joints Temporomandibular disorders Tmj syndrome

answered:

Scar tissue

Head-jaw
If your disc is dislocated and fused to the bone above, scar tissue will form to act as a false disc so bone does not rub on bone. You may be hearing the sound of the jaw moving over the scar tissue. It is a very common condition with no treatment recommended. Just live with it if it is not associated with pain.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Bone Bones Ear Jaw Pain Scarring Scars Tissue Temporomandibular disorders Tmj syndrome