What can I do for severe depression?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Get Help

Severe depression is dangerous because it can not only disrupt your life, it can even make you want to end your life.
If it's already this severe, you need an emergency evaluation. If not yet to that point, you can see an outpatient psychiatrist who can take a full history and make suggestions for treatment. Ideally this starts with psychotherapy, but antidepressants may also be needed to help.

In brief: Get Help

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Samuel Miles

In brief: Get help

Depression is treatable.
Talk to your family doctor, or get a referral to a mental health professional.

In brief: Get help

Depression is treatable.
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Pathology

In brief: Get treated

You've already gotten good advice.
I wanted to add that in several surveys of people who were in reasonably good physical health and who made serious attempts to end their lives, 99% were very glad, one year later, that they failed. You can learn new ways to think and act, and medications may help as well. Be brave -- choose to live life even more fully than you have in the past.

In brief: Get treated

You've already gotten good advice.