What are the differences between hypokalemia and hypokalemia periodic paralysis?

Dr. Peter Glusker
Neurology

In brief: Hypokalemia

Hypokalemia means low (hypo) potassium level in the blood.
Some individuals have a rare genetic disorder and abnormality in the potassium channels in their muscle cells, which can cause muscle weakness with low potassium.

In brief: Hypokalemia

Dr. Peter Glusker
Dr. Peter Glusker
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Low K and paralysis

Low K means your blood K is low.
You need to find out why. Periodic paralysis is often inherited and people have sudden lowering of blood K for unknown reasons and become paralyzed. When K goes up again the can walk again. Often brought on by eating are dose of CHO. I had one family member of a patient who died in ER when he was given K but he suddenly received and K shot up and he die of high K.

In brief: Low K and paralysis

Low K means your blood K is low.
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology