What are the causes and treatments of migraine headaches?

Migraine. Migraines are genetically acquired headaches, usually triggered by poor sleep, stress, weather and hormone changes and certain medications. The most common trigger is diet- tyramine, nitrates/ nitrates, caffeine, msg, alcohol, etc. The best treatment includes avoidance and control of triggers. There are numerous medications to prevent and treat headaches (topiramate, triptans, betablocker, etc.).
Many things. The cause is not known. Triggers are present in 85% such as stress and lack of sleep. For acute attacks, ibuprofen, naproxen, and excedrin will relieve many attacks. If not, your doctor can prescribe a triptan medication which may be more effective. If your headaches are frequent, you may benefit from a daily preventive medication (beta blockers, antidepressants, topiramate, and divalproex sodium).
Identify triggers. There are certain foods and aspects of lifestyle that can trigger or worsen headaches and migraines. The best way to identify triggers is to maintain a headache diary and keep a list of foods eaten before your migraine. Common triggers include chocolate, caffeine, cheese, msg, processed meats, alcohol, smoking/being around smoke, stress, skipping meals, lack of sleep or too much sleep.
Treatment options. Migraine is very common. Oral medications, diet modification, and addressing environmental triggers are first line treatments. If those don't work, then Botox and nerve blocks may help. For those who can't seem to get relief in any other way, surgery can offer long-lasting relief.