Is there a problem with switching from topamax to generic topiramate for seizure control?

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management

In brief: Generics

Absolutely yes. Generics only need to have anywhere from 80-120% bioavailability when compared to the brand.
More often than not what you will get is less than the brand and hence control of seizures will be less and the dose will have to be adjusted. While generics are cheaper you get what you pay for -you cannot pay yugo prices and expect a cadillac.

In brief: Generics

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Louis Krenn

In brief: Maybe

Many neurologists do not like patients to use a generic seizure medication due to the possible variability with generic drugs.
If a paitent is very sensative to their dose of medication, changing to a generic could lead to more seizures. Others do just fine. I would talk to your physician about your specific case.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Louis Krenn
Dr. Louis Krenn
Dr. Eric Weisman