Is a fluoride rinse a good subsitute for alcohol based mouthwash like listerine ?

Dr. James Beck
Dentistry

Yes, Fluoride rinses are very good for your teeth.
I am also a big fan of listerine because it is so good for your gums and removes the subgingival bacteria that cause gingivitis. I myself use listerine once a day and get my Fluoride through toothpaste twice a day. But Fluoride rinses are great too. I would recommend the Fluoride rinse morning and night after brushing and listerine at noon.

Dr. James Beck
Dr. James Beck
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Complicated

Fluoride mouth rinse is to protect the teeth from decay, but regular mouth rinses, with or without alcohol are to reduce bacterial activity in the mouth that cause gum disease and tooth decay.
At 36 years i suggest Fluoride tooth paste and the mouth rinse of your choice. Oh, and do ask your dentist for guidance.

In brief: Complicated

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Treva Lee
Dentistry

A fluoridated rinse is always preferred for its anti cavity and slightly antibacterial effects.
Crest pro health and listerine zero are alcohol free so they are less drying to your oral tissues.

Dr. Treva Lee
Dr. Treva Lee
Dr. Fay Gyapong
Dentistry

In brief: It depends

Every dental concern is unique.
When selecting a toothpaste or toothbrush, one should consider if you need a special type of paste to address sensitivity, dry mouth, frequency of decay etc. For a tooth brush selection, consider if you have concerns about access. With fluoride, consider if your local water is fluoridated or not. Please consult with your dmd.

In brief: It depends

Every dental concern is unique.
Dr. Fay Gyapong
Dr. Fay Gyapong
Dr. Jack Hinkle