If I am 5 weeks pregnant should I be concerned about anesthesia gases in the operating room?

Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: No -Theoretical risk

There is minimal chance of risk from anesthesia gases.
The anesthesia machine actively removes the gasses from the room. No human evidence of teratogenesis. The child is well protected by the placenta and the mother. The relationship has never been proved, but there has always been a concern that the anesthesia gasses might cause spontaneous abortions.

In brief: No -Theoretical risk

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Li-Min Hwang

In brief: No, but

Let the anesthesiologit and the surgeon worry about it, if you really have to go into the or. For sure let your doctors know you are pregnant.

In brief: No, but

Dr. Li-Min Hwang
Dr. Li-Min Hwang
Dr. Vikram Patel