How should I rinse my mouth after wisdom tooth removal?

Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry
In brief: Very Gently
If your dentist didn't give you a prescription mouthwash to use, simply use warm salt-water. It's important to keep the area clean, and brushing might be a bit uncomfortable for a few days.
More importantly, however, swish very gently, so you don't disturb with wound. Ideally, hold the rinse in your mouth and slowly tilt your head back and forth, instead of gargling or swishing vigorously.

In brief: Very Gently
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Gently
Avoid any vigorous rinsing on the day of your surgery.
You can rinse gently after eating to remove any food particles in your mouth that day. Some patients may be advised to use a saline (table salt in water) rinse postoperatively. Some patients may also be instructed to rinse with a Chlorhexidine rinse postoperatively.

In brief: Gently
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Peter Kurzweil