How do you treat an ingrown big toe nail?

Removal. Surgical removal is relatively easy in office procedure. See a podiatrist.
See a podiatrist. If there is mild discomfort and no redness ot drainage, round the corner of the nail slightly. Anything more than that and its just wiser to have a doctor take care of it. The nail border may be trimmed back, or in repetitive cases, a surgical procedure can be done in the office to make the nail more narrow and prevent recurrences.
Avoid tight shoes. Ingrown toenails are often caused by tight shoes. But they also can occur due to the genetic makeup of the individuals nail growth. Ingrown toenails that are mild can be relieved with soaking and / or an antibiotic. But for moderate to severe or chronic ingrown toenails you should see your podiatrist to have them permanently removed. Only the ingrown portion is removed leaving the rest of the nail.
See a professional. Leaving an ingrown nail untreated could lead to the development of an abscess and possible underlying bone infection. Get it taken care of by a professional to avoid preventable complications.