How can you relieve the scars of a tummy tuck?

Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Silicone

Silicone has been shown to have great efficacy in preventing scars from worsening.
I usually suggest kelocote or biocorneum to my patients as it can be found online at reasonable costs. www.whyskin.com sells biocorneum 50g tube for around 89.99.

In brief: Silicone

Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Lots of options

Most scar treatments are not well proven in the literature or the improvements may be minimal.
Silicone sheeting is well studied and generally helpful. Your scars are usually due to tension (which is needed to tighten your belly to some degree) and your own genetics. That being said, i provide all my patients with the option to use silicone sheets as long as they are willing to use them.

In brief: Lots of options

Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Pressure/Wound care

I understand your confusion! there are variety of scar treatment recommendations that make the decision overwhelming.
Consider the use of of sialstic gel sheeting, topical paper tape, scar massage, avoidance of sun exposure, and minimizing wound tension. The use of onion peel, aloe vera, vitamin e, cocoa butter, etc is not completely understood or substantiated in the literature.

In brief: Pressure/Wound care

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Several things

1) silicone sheeting 2) scar massage 3) laser therapy 4) steroid injections (if scar gets thick).

In brief: Several things

Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Many things...

Scars usually improve over a year or so as they mature.
Keeping them from rubbing on garments as they mature helps. Silicone gel sheeting can help as well. Steroid injection and scar revision can help with persistently problematic ones as well. This is something to review with your surgeon after 3-6 months.

In brief: Many things...

Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Several options

Although you can never completely remove a scar from someone, (there is no way to erase scars), scars can be improved.
It's best to work on them early, before they mature. I like to add topical creams, such as tretinoin to my healing scars. Another technique i like is to due frequent chemical peels as they are healing. Some lasers can work as well. See a skilled plastic surgeon to help you.

In brief: Several options

Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville