Should I breastfeed if I have diabetes?

Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Sure

Your baby can benefit tremendously from your breast milk.
Also keep in mind your baby's pancreas is normal and will have the correct hormones to regulate blood sugar!

In brief: Sure

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Fred Harvey
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Yes, but...

You simply need to plan for adequate calories just like with the pregnancy if you are diet controlled.
However, if you are taking oral hypoglycemic medications you may want to check with your endocrinologist to see if what you take is excreted in breast milk before giving it to baby.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Fred Harvey
Dr. Fred Harvey
Dr. Roy Benaroch

Yes. The extra benefits are that you'll find it easier to lose the baby weight, and you'll decrease the risk that your child will end up overweight as well.

Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch