Can you see lung cancer in a chest x-ray?

Maybe. It depends on the size and location of the lung cancer. Small cancers (less than 1 cm) may be difficult to identify with chest radiographs. Ct scan of the chest is much more sensitive in evaluating for lung cancer and associated disease.
Yes and no. Chest x-rays are good tools for screening for lung cancers. If the nodule is large enough, it can be seen on a chest x-ray. However not all nodules are cancerous and therefore abnormal x-ray findings need to be evaluated by further testing including ct scans and biopsy.