Can a knee replacement surgery help treat patellofemoral syndrome or chondromalacia patella?

Dr. Robert Greer

In brief: Yes,but

Knee replacement should be reserved (in my non-orthopedic) opinion for severe knee disease-not the 2 conditions you mentioned.

In brief: Yes,but

Dr. Robert Greer
Dr. Robert Greer
Dr. Tariq Niazi
CMP and PFS should be treated conservatively with pain meds like NSAIDs, PT, braces initially, and arthroscopic surgery for those in whom symptoms do not improve. These conditions are usually seen in younger patients, while Knee replacements are needed by older patients with severe arthritis.
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Last restort

Chondromalacia patella (runners knee) is due to overload of the patellofemoral joint (knee cap against the end of the thigh bone).
Running causes high forces in this portion of the joint. So does arising from a chair, going up/down stairs. Treatment consists of activity modification, ice, anti-inflammatory meds and therapy aimed at flexibility and strengthening, especially of your core.

In brief: Last restort

Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani