At what age is it safe to get breast implants?

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: 18, but...
Breast augmentation done for “cosmetic” purposes is FDA approved for patients older than 18.
However, there are cases where breast surgery is done for patients under the age of 18; these patients usually present with congenital breast anomalies and/or significant breast asymmetry. Best to seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience...

In brief: 18, but...
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Raymond Jean
Silicone implants are limited by FDA to those patients 22 and older
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: It depends
Breast implants for reconstructive purposes could be used even during teenage years (such as in people with breast absence or deformities).
For cosmetic purposes fda approves silicone breast implants after 22 years of age. You can get saline implants before. This is a decision that has be discussed between the plastic surgeon and the patient +/- family. Best.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery
In brief: Implant safety & Age
For cosmetic breast augmentation the safe age is mandated by federal law- minimum ages of 18 & 22 years for saline and silicone gel implants.
There is no age limit if there is a need for reconstruction due to congenital and acquired deformities. The safety issue has been put to rest as fda & numerous scientific studies have not shown any link with rheumatic diseases or cancer.

In brief: Implant safety & Age
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends on issue
Breast implants can be used at any point.
Federal regulations now stipulate that cosmetic breast augmentations should not be done for those under age 18, and silicone for those under age 22. Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon for your individual case.

In brief: Depends on issue
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics
I would put them in my kids!

I would put them in my kids!
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Sathish Adigopula
The person has to complete puberty before even considering implants. Implants are a very huge decision and need to be take by a mature adult not a minor child. You would not give steroid to every child wants to have bulky muscles like movie stars, would you?
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: After
Very important to wait until after the breasts have finished growing and maturing.
Any surgery before that time can have serious long term consequences. Saline breast implants are fda approved for 18 and older. Silicone breast implants are fda approved for 22 and older.

In brief: After
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Daniel Careaga
2 comments
Dr. Andres Sarraga
There are some congenital breast problems that may require an implant or reconstruction at an earlier age (16+)
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Breast aug
The fda has approved saline implants for women 18 years and older for primary breast augmentation.
The fda has approved silicone implants fo r women 22 years and older for primary breast augmentation. They may be used for breast reconstruction at any age. http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/productsandmedicalprocedures/implantsandprosthetics/breastimplants/ucm258564.htm.

In brief: Breast aug
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Timothy Mountcastle
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: When breasts mature
With the exception of congenital asymmetries, it is best to defer implants until completion of breast maturation (around 18).
However, safety is a whole other issue related to indications, contra-indications, co-morbid conditions, genetic predisposition for breast cancer, nursing/lactational concerns, etc. Fda restricts silicone to 22 & older, at age 34, i would certainly think that you are safe.

In brief: When breasts mature
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics
In brief: A big ? ?? safety
Hi, i can understand the possible need for breast implants, if you have breasts that are not uniform in size, are disfigured, removed due to breast surgery, but at this time it is not wise to use them for elective augmentation i know this sounds harsh.
. But please review the fda.Gov website re:breast implants. I believe implants have unanswered safety concerns 10 yr postapproval studies r pending.

In brief: A big ? ?? safety
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
4 comments
Dr. David Levens
I would respectfully disagree with Dr. Dietrich...." at this time--it is not apropriate to use them (breast implants) for cosmetic purposes only". Regarding age restrictions, it is best to be at an age of sufficient physical and emotional maturity to undergo a purely elective surgery as with breast implant surgery and generally this means at least 18 years old.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dear Dr. Levens, I am sorry I really misstated what I intended to say; I do believe Cosmetic reasons as above are legitimate reason to have implants. The issue I really have is breast augmentation to achieve extremely "large" breasts. There are still many "unknowns" about implants esp. as a totally elective cosmetic procedure. Age of consent is 18. But, investigations are underway into a relationship with the development of anaplastic large cell lymphoma. I am not sure potential patients are aware of this; or that MRI's of the implants every 2-3 years are recommended to find silent ruptures of the implants. This could greatly add to the cost of getting "elective" breast augmentation.