Why is it that when I remember good times in the past, I get an overwhelming feeling of sadness rather than happiness?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Context
"golden days" are almost my definition in the past.
We tend to forget the not-so-great aspects and idealize the good parts. As a result, current circumstances rarely measure up to such memories. If one adds to that a present that is full of stress or that is far less ideal than what you'd looked forward to way back when, then past memories may evoke a sense of loss rather than gratitude.

In brief: Context
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: DEPRESSION
Get an evaluation from a psychiatrist to help identify what depression means to you and whatever else may be bothering you.
Consider recommendations for medication if any are given. Get a referral for a reputable psychotherapist to speak with. Meds and therapy combined are most optimal; no just one or the other.

In brief: DEPRESSION
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry