Does a depressive state always come right after a manic state in bipolar disorder? Is there an in-between period?

No. Some bipolar pts have mainly depressive episodes & others mainly manic spells--there are intervals of normal mood states in most cases.
Not always. Although a depressive episode commonly follows a manic episode, this is not always the case. It is certainly possible for there to be an "in-between" period, or even another manic episode occur next, rather than a depressive episode. Manic and depressive episodes do not always alternate. It's not unusual to have several consecutive depressive or manic episodes in between periods of "normal" moods.