I have bipolar 2 disorder. What's the difference between that and bipolar 1?

Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Hypo mania vs mania

Both usually have depression.
Bipolar1 includes mania. Bipolar 2 includes hypo mania. Hypo mania is less severe, but still can have consequences due to impulsivity. Consequences are much more severe with mania. See my other answers for additional details.

In brief: Hypo mania vs mania

Both usually have depression.
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Bipolar

Difference is in severity of symptoms.
Type 1 is full spectrum of depression and manic episodes. Type 2 is depression with hypomanic episodes.

In brief: Bipolar

Difference is in severity of symptoms.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: In short: milder

The short answer is that Bipolar II is milder than Bipolar I but more precisely: While the depressions of Bipolar II may be as severe as those in Bipolar I, the manias of II are not--one experiences not full-blown mania but so called "hypomania"--mild mania.
The hallmarks of a bipolar II mania are irritability "hiding" a core of grandiose self-regard. Impulse behavior can be a big part of II as we

In brief: In short: milder

Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Difference

Bipolar I and bipolar II, In the first, manic phases are more severe, and in the second, depressive phases are more severe.
There is also cyclothymia which is a low grade version of bipolar disorder in general, where mood swings are not as severe in either direction, manic or depressive.

In brief: Difference

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry