What's the difference between bipolar 1 and 2?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Bipolar

Difference is in severity of symptoms.
Type 1 is full spectrum of depression and manic episodes. Type 2 is depression with hypomanic episodes.

In brief: Bipolar

Difference is in severity of symptoms.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Difference

Bipolar I is characterized by a fully manic episode and Major Depressive episode.
Bipolar 2 is characterized by a "hypomanic" episode and Major Depression.

In brief: Difference

Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Difference

Bipolar I and bipolar II, In the first, manic phases are more severe, and in the second, depressive phases are more severe.
There is also cyclothymia which is a low grade version of bipolar disorder in general, where mood swings are not as severe in either direction, manic or depressive.

In brief: Difference

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry