Manic-depressive illness... How close are scientists to finding a cure for it?

In brief: We are not there
yet.
I am grateful that treatment for bipolar disorder has improved so much since I was a resident. There is hope for managing the disorder and improving quality of life but I don't know of any actual "cures" on the horizon. Take care.

In brief: We are not there
yet.
Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology
In brief: Getting closer
At last we have semantic agreement on what constitutes bipolar disorder--what it is and is not.
The neurohormonal elements are now better elucidated; but not yet to the point where cure is a reasonable expectation. More likely there are several diverse conditions which mimic each other but work through different mechanisms; hence requiring different "cures".

In brief: Getting closer
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Likely not
Manic depression, more precisely known today as bipolar disorder quite likely will not be curable anytime soon.
However, it can be managed effectively with therapy and mood stabilizing medications such as lithium and depakote.

In brief: Likely not
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Eric Weisman