Is there a whole range of aspergers types? I've met 3 people with aspergers and they are not alike.

Not really. The core issues of asperger's disorder are the same, and there are no subtypes, at least with current diagnosis. However, just as there many variations of people with no disorder, those with ad can be quite different in terms of severity of symptoms, overall intelligence, specific interests, and awareness of their difficulties and efforts they make to overcome them.
Absolutely. Although asperger's disorder involves certain characteristics, or symptoms, the symptoms can manifest in differing ways. For example rigid thinking and obsessive thought patterns can apply to virtually any activity. In addition, each person with asperger's each has his or her own unique personality and temperament, just like the rest of us.