How to treat a swollen finger, jammed from playing basketball?

Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: See a doctor

Basketball injuries to the middle knuckle include simple ligament sprains, central slip (tendon-boutonneire) rupture and fracture dislocation.
Unfortunately, even severe injuries could look innocuous. I personally feel it is important to have these injuries evaluated in order to rule out a more sinister injury. It could mean the difference between 3 weeks of buddy taping and surgery...

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Jammed

Make sure it's not cracked first, if not, motion by flexing-extending the finger as tolerated to minimize more swelling.

In brief: Jammed

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali