Is umbilical hernia operation best under general anaesthetics?

Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: Depends

Every case is unique.
General anesthesia is very safe, and most patients prefer to be "out of it". Local anesthesia with or without sedation are also safe options. In the end, both you and your surgeon and your anesthesiologist need to be comfortable with the anesthetic technique for your specific scenario.

In brief: Depends

Every case is unique.
Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology

In brief: It depends on

Your needs and expectations.
Small umbilical hernias can be fixed with local and sedation, but larger ones will be easier using a general.

In brief: It depends on

Your needs and expectations.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas

In brief: Not for me

I prefer to perform umbilical herniorraphies under local anesthesia with sedation.
Patients wake up faster and with fewer anesthesia side effects.

In brief: Not for me

Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Scott Welker
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery