I'm having a teeth impaction operation and I am scared about the anesthesia? What should I do?

Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Scared about?
There are a number of anesthetic options utilized for the removal of impacted teeth, which can be discussed with you during your consultation with your surgeon.
During your consultation, you need to discuss your fear of anesthesia so that your surgeon understands what you are scared about and to allow your doc to address these and provide you with anesthetic options you are comfortable with.

In brief: Scared about?
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: I understand
It is not normal to ask someone to put you to sleep while another works on you.
The risks are minimal, in fact i tell my patients that they are more likely to have problems driving to the hospital to have the surgeon. Talk to your anesthesiologist before the operation and they can give you medications to relieve you anxiety.

In brief: I understand
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
In brief: Don't be.
Anesthesia is very safe these days, and complications related to anesthesia directly are extremely rare.
You are more likely to have issues with the surgical part of any operation than the anesthesia. And, all you will remember is the anesthesiologist asking you to count backwards to think of a nice place or whatever they say, and the next thing you know you will be waking up in recovery.

In brief: Don't be.
Dr. Vineet Choudhry
Dr. Vineet Choudhry
Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Don't be scared
Having impacted teeth removed under intravenous anesthesia is one of the most common and safest operations we do.
The anesthesia will be given through an I.V. And will make you sleepy and very unconcerned about everything going on around you. Your vital signs will be safely and carefully monitored throughout your surgery. The risk of complications from anesthesia is very, very low.

In brief: Don't be scared
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery