What tips do you have for someone about to have general anesthesia ?

In brief: Tips
Be forth coming with your anesthesiologist.
Ask your anesthesiologist all your questions. Express all your fears.

In brief: Tips
Dr. Gary-Anthony Lawson-Boucher
Dr. Gary-Anthony Lawson-Boucher
Dr. John McDonald
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Relax
General anesthesia is done exceptionally frequently and has rare complications.
Stay hydrated the day before surgery and drink a lot of water. Avoid alcohol the day before surgery. No food or drink within 8 hours of your surgery time. If you are a smoker and have time before an elective procedure, quit. Smokers have a higher likelihood of post anesthesia complications related to their lungs.

In brief: Relax
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: Hydrate
I always suggest to my patients that they hydrate before an operation.
I fell that this decreases their chance of nausea and vomiting after an anesthetic, as well as decrease their chances of major blood pressure swings. I would talk to your anesthesiologist and see if they have other suggestions to make your experience as good as possible.

In brief: Hydrate
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology
In brief: Get a .
Try to sleep the night before.
Follow the pre-op instructions. Make sure there is a complete health history available in your chart or bring the information with you, including a list of medications. If you have any questions, be ready to ask them when you meet your anesthesiologist.

In brief: Get a .
Try to sleep the night before.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology
In brief: Read instructions
Follow the instructions given to you by either your surgeon or the pre-admission testing center. Do not eat a heavy meal the night before but feel free to drink fluids up to 8 hrs before.
If you have had any special tests or seen a specialist for a serious problem (heart) bring the report with you have it sent to the surgeon's office or the hospital/surgicenter. The more info, the better.

In brief: Read instructions
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
In brief: Anesthesia tips
Follow your pre-op instructions to the letter. Take the medicines the day of surgery you are supposed to.
Do not have anything to eat or drink, except a sip of water for your pills. Be honest when asked about your medical history, including alcohol and drug use. Have a family member with you who can hear the instructions you receive also. Remove jewelry, and piercings and leave them at home.

In brief: Anesthesia tips
Dr. Elizabeth Wallen
Dr. Elizabeth Wallen
Dr. Ronald Herring
Just one additional point. Tell your anesthesiologist if you take ANY over the counter drugs or 'natural' products. Some of them are quite dangerous in combo with anesthesia drugs.