What can laughing gas make people do and does it help with surgery?

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology

In brief: Nitrous oxide

Is an inhaled anesthetic that has some analgesic and anxiolytic properties.
In a general anesthetic it can be used as part of a balanced technique, but can cause bowel distension and, in high concentrations, post operative nausea.

In brief: Nitrous oxide

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Kini Tran
Dentistry

In brief: It helps..yes

Nitrous will help the patient decrease their anxiety and relax which will help allow for the anesthetic to work better during surgery.
However if the pateint is already relax, there is no need for it.

In brief: It helps..yes

Dr. Kini Tran
Dr. Kini Tran
It's a good medicine -- but use it recreationally, and you'll likely end up doing permanent damage to your peripheral nervous system! You may have a friend who's suggested this -- urge them strongly not to.
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Depends

As with any medication or drug, patients respond and react in different ways.
Nitrous oxide or laughing gas affects patients in different ways. I tell my patients that one group may feel lightheaded and feel like they are floating, another group may feel very heavy, and some may feel no different than before. For most patients, nitrous does relieve some anxiety and a more comfortable visit.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Cindy Juster