How long should a blood clot stay in your mouth after wisdom tooth surgery before falling out?

Forever. The blood clot should never fall out. This is true for any blood clot anywhere in the body. The blood clot will slowly change into the type of tissues needed for healing & repair; in the case of a tooth extraction, it will change into new bone & gum. If you lose the clot, healing with be impaired and delayed. So, don't disturb it, and allow it time to heal. Unfortunately, it is lost sometimes.
Ideally forever. The blod clot just starts the healing process. It also protects the bone from exposure to the oral environment. The blod clot stays and the area heals by secondary intent.