What is the risk of retinal detachment after pvd?

10-15% The risk of retinal break, tear, or detachment after posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) is thought to be around 10-15%. This is why patients should have a dilated fundus examination if they experience new onset flashes, floaters, or change in vision.
Very Low. A PVD occurs when the vitreous gel liquefies and collapses. This occurs with aging and happens earlier in patients with severe nearsightedness. Very rarely, a retinal tear and develop during this process, which leads to a retinal detachment. It is common to be followed by an ophthalmologist after developing a PVD to make sure the retina is healthy.