I'm so sad because I just got diagnosed with pvd and i'm only 28. Is this going to eventually make me blind?

Dr. Mitchell Vogel
Ophthalmology

In brief: Don't worry!

Pvd or posterior vitreous detachment is a common condition which causes floaters.
It can only make you blind if it leads to a tear in your retina. This is uncommon but you should have a dilated retinal exam by an ophthalmologist or retinal specialist to make sure everything is ok. Good luck and have a nice day!

In brief: Don't worry!

Dr. Mitchell Vogel
Dr. Mitchell Vogel
Dr. Matheson Harris
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Pvd (posterior vitreous detachment) occurs in most everyone's eyes at some point.
It can occasionally cause a retinal tear or detachment. As long as you are followed closely with dilated exams right after the PVD occurs, you shouldn't have any long term visual problems.

In brief: No

Dr. Matheson Harris
Dr. Matheson Harris
Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Separation of the vitreous from the back of the eye causes large, annoying floaters, but will no lead to blindness.
It is more common in highly nearsighted people, such as me. After i had my cataract surgery, i was able to have vitrectomies to remove the annoying floaters.

In brief: No

Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Dr. Jeffrey Gold
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery