Should I breastfeed if I have a fever?

Dr. Alma Cortez

In general, the most common cause of a fever in the mother is a viral syndrome such as a cold/flu.
A breastfeeding mom should not stop breastfeeding just because she has a fever. The antibodies that she is creating to fight her own infection are pasedt through to her baby via the breastmilk. So, she is in fact also providing protection from infection while continuing to breastfeed.

Dr. Alma Cortez
Dr. Alma Cortez
Dr. Roy Benaroch

Yes. If you have a fever, drink extra fluids and continue to nurse-- if you get engorged and uncomfortable, you'll only feel worse.

Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Jonathan Jassey