What is a saddle pulmonary embolus?

Saddle. A saddle pulmonary embolus is a relatively large clot that becomes lodged within the main pulmonary artery and straddles (extends into) both right and left pulmonary arteries.
Cause and effect. An embolus is something that can float through blood and then plugs the flow. It's usually a blood clot or air. A pulmonary infarct occurs when the embolus goes to a pulmonary artery and the lung down stream dies from lack of oxygen. A saddle embolis is a clot bridging the main arteries to both the right and left lungs.