How and why does clotting in the uterus and cause a pulmonary embolus?

Pulmonary embolus. A pulmonary embolus is when a blood clot from another part of the body travels through the veins and reaches the lungs. All the veins in the body empty into the right side of the heart and the right side of the heart pumps blood to the lungs. The blood vessels in the lungs get very small so any object of significant size will get stuck in the lungs. The lungs act as a filter for venous blood.
Amniotic fluid embol. Blood in the uterus does not directly lead to a pe, but a traumatic birth can lead to amniotic fluid getting into the blood and the moving to the lung. An amniotic fluid embolism is very serious, with a very high mortality rate.